FW: netlibrary update

Andrea.Cheney at USPTO.GOV Andrea.Cheney at USPTO.GOV
Fri Nov 9 07:35:40 EST 2001

FYI.

--andrea cheney

Subject:        	(Fwd) FW: From LJ Academic Newswire 11/8/01
CONCERN MOUNTS AS NETLIBRARY ROYALTY CHECKS BOUNCE
Concern is rising among university press directors this
week, as royalty checks, issued to some university presses
for their licensed e-books, bounced. Thomas Bacher,
director of the Purdue University Press confirmed that his
press's royalty check from the cash-strapped e-book
provider failed to clear. "And the check wasn't for a large
amount," noted Bacher. Bacher said the check was for less
than $100. While concerned about the bounced royalty check,
however, Bacher expressed even graver concerns about
netLibrary's somewhat murky "escrow" agreement with OCLC to
distribute CD-ROM copies of e-books to some libraries in
the event of netLibrary's demise. "My content agreement
with netLibrary allows for their distribution of our books
via the Internet," said Bacher. "It doesn't allow for the
burning of CD-ROMS." Bacher says he is concerned over the
copyright implications associated with issuing CD-ROMS. "I
understand that libraries bought these books," says Bacher,
but added that he was uneasy over the idea of unauthorized
CD-ROM copies of his press' books. Further complicating
matters, noted Bacher, his netLibrary agreement affords
Purdue University Press the option of withdrawing their
content from netLibrary after three years.

Marge Gammon, netLibrary senior director of marketing, said
she was unaware of any university presses with bounced
checks, but conceded that publishers who did not cash
checks before October 15 might have run into trouble. "When
our cash flow problem became apparent, the bank froze the
company's assets," explained Gammon, who said that future
payouts and restitution for any bounced checks would now
need to be reviewed on a case by case basis. As for
Bacher's concerns over the issuing of CD-ROMS in case of
netLibrary failing to find new financing or a buyer, Gammon
said that whatever contracts were in place with individual
presses would be honored--meaning that if a publisher did
not grant the right for its work to be reproduced on CD-
ROM, then that press's books would not be part of the OCLC
plan. It was not clear how many of netLibrary's partners
would be contractually ineligible for the OCLC back-up
plan.

Some of these worries may remain in the realm of the
hypothetical. Gammon said the company was doing its best to
continue its operations and noted that talks with an
unnamed potential buyer could be finished as early as this
week. "We're talking days, not weeks," said Gammon.