More on IE lockdown

GRAY, PAUL PAUL.GRAY at TCCD.NET
Thu Nov 1 15:29:13 EST 2001

OK --
Through IEAK I can tell IE not to open new windows and to disallow closing
the browser.

BUT---
Some links seem to be able to bypass this and open new windows anyway --
which then cannot be closed.

Anybody have any ideas on how to COMPLETELY prevent opening of new windows?

Also open to hints on how to disable the START button -- or eliminate
EVERYTHING on it but IE

Right now I am getting around this by running IE as the shell -- but this
causes some other problems.

OK --
One more question --
Want to prevent patrons from downloading/saving to any place but their A
drive.
I have all drives hidden but A
But they still manage to save to "My Documents" and to the desktop.

Any help or any pointers to good informational sites would be welcome.

BTW ---
Thanks to those who suggested Public Browser --
I'm sure its a wonderful product --
but with our people -- if it doesnt look smell and taste just like the IE
they have at home -- they get paranoid.
We even paid for a similar product called OneSite from the makers of
Cybrarian -- and they wouldn't allow me to use it in the reference area
after it was bought.
We do use it in the lab -- and it works GREAT.

Paul H. Gray
Library Manager, CLC and LRC LAN
TCC Northeast Campus Library
Hurst, TX