K-Meleon Follow-Up

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Tue May 29 12:00:28 EDT 2001

I've been poking around the K-Meleon browser and what I've found so far is
very cool.  For example:

Do you want to disable or re-assign short-cut keys (CTRL-O, CTRL-P)?

* You can do this in a configuration file in the user profile.

Do you want to remove menu items from the Menu Bar like "File" or "Edit" to
create a "kiosk" browser??

& You can simply comment the items out in a configuration file in the user
profile.

Do you want to remove specific items in the pull-down menus to allow some
items to be active (like printing) and others not (like "Save As..")?

* You can simply comment the items out in a configuration file in the user
profile.

How much simpler can it get?

It took me just a couple of minutes to create a quick-n-dirty kiosk browser
with most of the obvious security holes closed.  I'll need to do some more
testing but I think it shouldn't take too much work to lock down this browser
tight. Again, K-Meleon is a work in progress but I'm seeing the light at the
end of the tunnel for a Mozilla/Gecko based browser suitable for library-use.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI