[WEB4LIB] Re: Internet porn in library: a 'hostile work environment'...

HTheyer htheyer at pacbell.net
Sat May 26 21:01:55 EDT 2001

The thing that is so scary is how many doors this opens.  The guy who simply
verbally picks on the staff until he gets his way, even when he is dead
wrong, is creating a hostile work environment for me.  I cringe when he
comes in, I hide if I can, and he leaves me exhausted after ten minutes of
explaining how he did in fact incur that .25 fine he doesn't want to pay.
He constantly berates the library and the staff for not having policies
specifically designed for him, he is never satisfied, and he comes back a
lot!!!  I could make a list of people I would rather not serve, but ya know,
they all pay taxes!

So, can I say "You are a jerk, and I chose not to help you."  No.  So, can I
sue? No! But according to EEOC logic ...  Hmmmmm.

I simply think that once this door is open we won't be able to close it
again.  Can I weed all the UFO and witchcraft books tomorrow?  Can I quit
carrying Forbes, Fortune, Money, and the Wall Street Journal because I hate
what capitalist culture is doing to our society?  Can I choose not to buy
certain CDs because they offend me?  Those lyrics are sometimes printed
right on the CD flap, and I have to look at Kid Rock giving me the finger
each time I open that CD to check if it is in its case to check it out.  Can
I get rid of Vogue, Seventeen, and YM because they send the wrong message to
young girls.  After all, I have to look at the covers every day ....

I think we can all see how scary this could get.

Hillary Theyer