[WEB4LIB] Re: Internet porn in library: a 'hostile work environment'...

Daniel Messer dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
Fri May 25 16:09:26 EDT 2001

Dan Lester <dan at riverofdata.com> said:

> Of course I think that librarians are regularly exposed to things they
> don't like, whether things done by patrons, information that we may
> find offensive (and certainly not just visual information), and so
> forth, so I think this case is a stretch.  But considering a lady
> getting millions of bucks for her own stupidity (the mcdonalds coffee
> in the lap case), nothing would surprise me.
>
> Maybe some librarians should file a case because they had to provide
> information on holocaust revisionism, or abortion, or birth control,
> or religion or <pick whatever offends you>.

I am in 100% agreement with you.

I hate that "new age" EEOC term- "hostile work environment." Let me tell you all something, that term is sanctimonious bureaucratic nonsense. Working in a library and accidentally being exposed to online porn is not creating a hostile work environment. A guy coming in with a semi-automatic pistol in each hand blazing away like he's in a John Woo movie is creating a hostile work environment. Being forced to deal with an axe wielding maniac is creating a hostile work environment. Having to deal with online porn is something that inconveniences one's morals.

Your comment about filing a lawsuit because of other things that might offend them is right on the money. These are the same people that will sue because they saw some pornography that some jerk patron intentionally left on the screen but happily direct people in their efforts to find Lady Chatterly's Lover or the Joy Of Sex. And one other thing before I step down off of this soap box: I wonder if it ever occured to these people that some patron figured he'd have a little fun and see if he could whip up a little animosity amongst the librarians? How better to do that than to leave a picture of some totally depraved pornography on the screen for them to find?

Okay, ranting mode off, just food for thought on a Friday afternoon. :) Have a good three day weekend (If you live in the United States) and a good two day weekend (If you don't.).

Dan

--
Mondai wa
The subject in question...