Creating local content for web

JQ Johnson jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Wed May 23 18:58:30 EDT 2001

>The only caution here is that MySQL-specific functions are just that:
>MySQL-specific.

PHP programmers should generally be using the PEAR DB module and
database-independent functions, rather than the mysql-specific functions.
That means giving up a bit of mysql-specific power, but not much (you'd be
giving up a lot more power if you switched from Oracle or MS SQL Server
native routines to a database abstraction layer).

Database abstraction layers are also de rigeur for perl programmers.  Does
anyone use oraperl any more for new projects?  I think most of us use DBI.
The PEAR DB modules for PHP aren't as mature as DBI/DBD for perl, but they
are getting there.

One area where database abstraction layers tend to lose big time is in
handling of stored procedures and triggers.  I'd be interested in any code
examples you sophisticated perl database programmers may have that access
such features of the database engine.

JQ Johnson                      Office: 115F Knight Library
Academic Education Coordinator  mailto:jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu
1299 University of Oregon       phone: 1-541-346-1746; -3485 fax
Eugene, OR  97403-1299          http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~jqj/