[WEB4LIB] Re: Creating local content for web

Richard L. Goerwitz III richard at goerwitz.com
Wed May 23 11:01:58 EDT 2001

bob frasier wrote:

> I've switched from Perl DBI to PHP to build the web pages that access the MySQL
> database.

The only caution here is that MySQL-specific functions are just that:
MySQL-specific.  One of the big reasons to go to a system like PHP or
Embperl is that it's open, and generally more standards conformant than
what you'd see in the commercial world.

As soon as you start using MySQL-specific functions, you may find you
aren't a whole lot better off than you'd gone with a Microsoft-only
(or other proprietary) solution.

If you know Perl already, have you tried Embperl?  Embperl is a great
server-side scripting language, like PHP.  It's built on top of Perl,
however, so you get to ride the coattails of a mature, general-purpose
programming language - which isn't the case with PHP.

I find I can teach Embperl to people who already know Perl in just
two half-hour sessions.  Within days they are able to use it fluently
and productively.

--

Richard Goerwitz                               richard at Goerwitz.COM
tel: 401 438 8978