Acrobat document - print disabled

Richard Wiggins wiggins at mail.com
Mon May 21 20:26:37 EDT 2001

Hmmm....  Good question.  I'm not sure you can answer this in the abstract.  If you have rights to view the content on screen, my guess is you can print it, or take a digital photo of it, or dictate it into your voice recorder.

On the other hand, if you take something you had rights for one individual to view, and print 1000 copies for mass distribution, that'd seem to be a whole 'nother question.

A possibly more important issue: would it specifically violate the Digital Millennium Copyright Act's provisions against reverse engineering to defeat a digital copy protection scheme?  As I understand it, that section of the law doesn't look at rights or intent, it just proscribes behaviors that defeat protection schemes.

These would be really good questions for the CNI Copyright mailing list...

/rich