[WEB4LIB] Sleazy sites...it's not just porno anymore.

Lee Jaffe ldjaffe at cats.ucsc.edu
Mon May 7 14:48:34 EDT 2001

We had a user complain to the Library director (who complained
to my boss, who complained to me) that the homepage on one of
our public workstations was set to a porn site.  Didn't we have
some kind of security for preventing someone from messing with
our settings?  Well, yes we do (Fortres) and it works just fine.
Turns out that the previous user had pointed the browser at
one of these sites which keep generating new pages whenever
you close one.  He (gender assumed) apparently fled in shame and/
or fear, leaving the hydra-headed site for the next unsuspecting
user. You can usually end such loops by quitting the browser but
the new user misread the symptoms and blamed us for not taking
better measures to protect him/her (gender not assumed) from
offensive material.   -- Lee Jaffe, UC Santa Cruz