[WEB4LIB] Re: Creating local content for web

Thomas M G Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Thu May 24 08:54:19 EDT 2001

Being one of the foremost Perl gurus Tom Christiansen, he responded to the
users question quite unbiasly I feel.  Bear in mind this response was over 5
years ago and there have been a number of changes in Python including a
total rewrite almost of the language with version 2.0.  Just yesterday the
LinuxWorld eNewsletter had an article _Python: The One Size Fits All
Programming Language_ (URL may wrap to next line)

http://www.itworld.com/jump/l0522_nl/www.itworld.com/AppDev/4073/LWD010518pe
nguin3/

I learned a new trick that Python can do from that article.  Python has
always compiled a byte code version of the source, but yesterday I found out
that you can also compile to java byte code from the python source.  It
appears to me that this is becoming a quite powerful language.

My opinion has always been, if you're comfortable with Perl, understand it,
and have been using it for a while (or not) then there's no reason why you
need to change to Python.  If you're new to both languages, give each a
chance and see which you are most comfortable with and which language can do
what you need to accomplish.

This statement holds true today just as it did in June of 95:

"The extent to which you prefer one over the other will probably depend on
how comfortable you already are with C and Unix shell programming in
general." -Tom Christiansen

http://www.perl.com/pub/language/versus/python.html

Thomas

ps: I hope it is quite clear that this is not a flame toward any language or
person. Use what you like.

  Use The Help Desk at http://linux.library.appstate.edu/help
                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III            University Library
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 2797

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine