Update Week 9: The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk

gprice gprice at gwu.edu
Thu May 3 13:36:14 EDT 2001

The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk
New and Useful Web Sites, Industry News,
Full-Text Docs of Interest to the Info Professional.
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

5/3/01
It's been quite a week for both news and content. Great stuff!
I think most of you will find a story or site that you will want to explore.

REMEMBER, this e-mail update is an abridged version
of what you will find on the weblog.

Feel free to stop by THROUGHOUT the week for new resources and news of
interest to the information professional.

---------
Thanks for the continued support!
If I can be of assistance, you know where to find me.

Cheers,
gary

p.s. Links to past VAS&ND (archived postings) can be found
in the left column of the weblog page.

----------------
Weekly Highlights #9
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

Thursday, May 3, 2001
The Packaging of Information
XanEdu to Package Online Resources With Wiley Textbooks
----

Wednesday, May 2, 2001

Reference Books--The Dictionary of American Regional English
"Dictionary Tracks American Language"

Business--Statistics--United States
Source: U.S. Census
1999 County Business Patterns Data Available Today
----

Tuesday, May 1, 2001
E-Government-Legislation
Bill Introduced: E-Gov Act of 2001

International Development
New Web Site from the World Bank: International Development Goals

Canada Resource Shelf (1 Item)
Environment--Wild Species
Wild Species in Canada

----
Monday, April 30, 2001
Full-Text Document Shelf
Criminal Justice--Wiretaps
Source: Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts
2000 Wiretap Report
Summary and News Release also available.
----
Federal Aid to Universities--Science & Engineering--United States
Federal Aid to Non-Profits--Science & Engineering--United States
Source: NSF
Federal Science and Engineering Support to Universities, Colleges, and
Nonprofit
Institutions: Fiscal Year 1999

Lawyers--United States
Source: Forbes
Highest Paid Lawyers (U.S.) (Free Registration Required)

Virtual Reference-Canada
Collaborative Digital Reference Service
Source: Ottawa Citizen
"Canada Joins Global Online Answer Service"
----

Friday, April 27, 2001
Search Engine News
Greg Notess Posts New Search Size Studies

U.K. Resource Shelf (4 Items)
A selection of new docs and resources from various departments and
organizations in the U.K. Government
Environment
Digest of Environmental Statistics
The Environment in your Pocket 2000
Employment
Employment Rates 1959 to 2000/1 (Available in Excel Format)
Transportation
London Underground: Comparison with New York Subway

The List and Rankings Drawer
Broadcasting Industry--Television--United States
Digital Television Stations In Operation
Source: National Association of Broadcasters
-
Broadcasting Industry--Television--United States
Top 25 Television Groups
----

Thursday, April 26, 2001

Academic Publishing
"Scientists threaten journal protest"
 Source: BBC Online
Web Search--Multimedia
"Specialized Providers Zero In On Multimedia Content"

Web Searching
Internet Business--Lycos
For A Fee, Surf By Phone

----
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com
End Week #9 Update

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Information Consultant, George Washington University
gprice at gwu.edu

Looking for Info Industry News?
New Search Resources?
New Web Accessible Documents?

Visit The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com