[WEB4LIB] Physical vs. Virual union catalogues

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Fri May 11 18:02:13 EDT 2001

To my way of thinking, virtual union catalogs are what you do when
you can't do a physical union catalog. Virtual union catalogs have a
set of problems that are more difficult to solve than with actual
union catalogs. For example, de-duping (merging records that are for
the same item).

If you go search some large virtual union catalogs (for example,
http://www.aclin.org/ or http://www.mnlink.org/) for an item you
should quickly see what I mean. Multiple records come back for the
same book, since records from different libraries are not merged.
Merging records on the fly can be considerably more difficult than
merging them in a batch-load operation -- particularly since there is
no time to iron out problems that cause near-duplicate records not to
merge. This alone is a serious enough issue to my way of thinking to
make virtual union catalogs a *last* resort.

But for an actual study on this issue, I don't think you can do
better than an article by my colleague Karen Coyle, that ran recently
in D-Lib Magazine: "The Virtual Union Catalog: A Comparative Study"
(http://www.dlib.org/dlib/march00/coyle/03coyle.html). She found that
VUCs came up seriously short (in a nutshell).
Roy