[WEB4LIB] VGA signal boosters

James Cayz cayz at lib.de.us
Sat May 12 13:41:47 EDT 2001

On Fri, 11 May 2001, Tom Edelblute wrote:
>In our computer lab we have a VGA video splitter so we can divide the
>signal from the instructors PC to go to the Instructors monitor, a
>projection device and a 34 inch monitor.
>
>The problem we currently have is that with the 34 inch monitor on the
>oposite side of the room, we are running a very long video extension
>where the signal is being degraded.  I have not found anything in the
>way of video boosting technologies like I currently have with my cable
>television.  Is there any signal boosting devices that anyone is using
>with a VGA plug?
>--
>Tom Edelblute
>Public Access Systems Coordinator
>Anaheim Public Library   phone: (714) 765-1759
>500 West Broadway        fax:   (714) 765-1730
>Anaheim CA 92805         e-mail: thomas at anaheim.lib.ca.us

Tom,

I am assuming (and please correct if I'm wrong) that the splitter that you
already have is nothing more than a wire-to-wire 1-to-2 cable.

You *can* buy splitter / boosters.  They *are* expensive.

Black Box has them, starting at $334.95 for a one-to-two box.  They go up
to $1,255.95 for a 1-to-10 box.  I'm sure thay aren't the only ones who
make / sell them.

See this page for more info & specs on the BB ones:
http://catalog.blackbox.com/BlackBox/templates/blackbox/itemgroup341guest.asp?param=233&ig_id=341&title=VGA+Video+Splitters&related=
(www.blackbox.com / Product Listing / Video & Mass Storage / Splitters /
VGA Video Splitters)

We have a pair of the two-channel ones, running through 6 & 50 feet of
cable on each unit.  The 50' cables run up to the RGB1 & 2 inputs for our
ceiling mounted projector.  They work fine.  BB claims 250' range.

Just make sure that all of your devices (video card, splitter, monitors,
etc.) are all set to a common, valid video frequency, resolution,
etc.  The signal can really get messed on all outputs by just having one
device "out of sync".

I hope this helps.

James