[WEB4LIB] layers in Javascript with IE and Netscape

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed May 9 15:21:42 EDT 2001

> I'm a JS rookie, and I've adapted some code that uses layers to create
an LC
> call number sorting activity .  It works fine in Netscape 4.76, but IE 5
> gives me some errors.  I think I can troubleshoot it, but I just need
some
> help finding some sources to look at.  Example snippets of code using
layers
> that are known to work in IE would be a big help, if anyone has any
> examples!

My own JS skills are mostly monkey see-monkey do, but I'm curious if
anyone can explain what layers means in the IE context.  I understand the
Netscape 4 proprietary LAYER element (long discouraged even by Netscape
and justly gone from NS6).  Is the IE equivalent a matter of using DOM
calls to change the z-index values of overlapping DIVs?

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu