subscription resource usabiltity

Martin Courtois courtois at gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
Tue Mar 27 09:49:04 EST 2001

Hi Liz,

I see now that I misread your original posting, and I think it's a good
idea to focus on usability of electronic subscription sites separate from
usability of library web sites.  Most libraries have a pretty big element
of control over the design and content of their web sites, but we have
no control and little opportunity for input on the design of subscription
databases.

In launching your forum, it might be worthwhile to extend invitations to
the producers and vendors of subscription sites.  I'm sure they would
appreciate the opportunity to hear comments on their products, and it
might help in making some improvements.

I'm sorry I missed the point of your posting.  We're doing usability tests
on our web site, and I guess I'm at the point where I just launch into the
same song and dance whenever "usability" is mentioned!

Marty

Martin Courtois
Science/Engineering Librarian
Gelman Library