[WEB4LIB] Re: Still More Copyright

Lloyd Davidson Ldavids at northwestern.edu
Thu Mar 22 17:50:09 EST 2001

At 08:04 03/22/2001 -0800, Brian Cockburn wrote:
>Ebooks will not, for the most part, replace linearly read volumes.

Actually, while my own ability to foretell the future is most assuredly
badly flawed and no one knows for sure how things will develop in this
area, the reports from those who have used ebooks for long periods of
linear reading find them not only addictive but completely interchangeable
with print texts.  In fact, one reporter who tested ebooks for a couple of
weeks found herself frequently looking around for the paperback she
remembered reading after she had set her ebook reader down for a few
minutes.  And this was on a reader that was by no means optimal in its design.

Technology has a way of invading our lives both because of its perceived
and actual benefits.  The ability to carry a library of nearly unlimited
size around in one's hand, contained in a small, light weight unit that can
be read while waiting in line at the supermarket or for a dental
appointment, or while riding a train to work, is very
attractive.  Especially if material like the morning paper and the full
text of your favorite magazines and journals were also made available on
it. I would certainly be an early adopter if the reading list was good, the
ebooks and reader inexpensive (the ebooks perhaps available for a daily
rental fee), and the reader comfortable and convenient to use, with a
long-lived battery.  I would even be happy to exchange much of my use of
the free public library for a limited-cost system that provided the
convenience of guaranteed access to the latest published works as soon as
they are published and didn't necessitate finding a parking place near our
local library or the time required to get in and out of it, which usually
includes waiting in line to charge items out. Even though an electronic
book doesn't have the same appeal as a nicely bound print volume when
presented as a gift to a friend (for the same reasons that nobody would pay
$1,500 for a CD of the Encyclopedia Britannica), it has sufficient other
advantages that its widespread adoption is ultimately assured.  Not the
least of which, of course, might be snob appeal and current style
imperatives (for those affected by such things).

>However,
>in most academic libraries, scholars and students pursue research by using
>"parts" of books.  By scanning table of contents and indexes, you look for
>your "topic" and related topics.  The ebook will make its first significant
>mark in libraries when it makes possible the searching of libraries of books
>by topic and word.  That would be extremely valuable and would fit with
>scholarly use.

Yes, this defines a further set of its advantages.  netLibrary is one ebook
system that already provides this feature.

>BAC
>
>Brian Cockburn
>Digital Services Librarian
>James Madison University