[WEB4LIB] Re: will OSS impact library automation?

Lewis, Erik elewis at state.lib.ga.us
Thu Mar 22 17:02:09 EST 2001

The problem with that thread on ./ is libraries require more complicated
development efforts than what the average hacker can produce in a 48 hour
caffinated binge.  We are a little more complicated than a POS system.

The options for OSS in library automation at present are just now starting
to develop.  I think we will see some various bits and pieces start
trickling in over time.  Right now I believe there are booking, ill, and
reserve options in OSS but I definitely haven't kept pace with them.
Hopefully they are good and libraries are using them successfully.

What I believe is necessary to jump start a OSS ILS is for some major
university to look at the state of proprietary library automation and decide
that it is largely mediocre.  Then decide they can develop something better
and commit the staffing to the effort of producing a open source library
system that takes advantage of a community hacking effort.  Many pieces of
commercial library software have grown from individual hacking projects.
VTLS, Notis, Sirsi and others began development in the campus library.
However this was well before OSS became vogue.