Grey Hats

JQ Johnson jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Thu Mar 22 09:01:59 EST 2001

Lloyd Davidson writes:

> Napster and other P2P systems that flagrantly break copyright bear much
> of  the responsibility for the sudden heightened interest by publishers
> of all  media in highly secure digital rights management (DRM) systems,

I think the timing is wrong for this claim (though I agree with some of the
other points made by Davidson).  The main push from the publishing industry
for reform of the US copyright law occured prior to P2P in 1996-97,
culminating in the 1998 changes to the copyright law (DMCA).  At the time,
there were at least 4 prongs to the attack:
  - eliminate the public domain by increasing copyright term
  - add technological protection measures
  - clarify ISP liability limits and copyright enforcement responsibilities
  - create copyright protection for "mere facts" i.e. databases

All but the last pushes have been largely successful, dramatically changing
the copyright landscape, mostly in favor of the publishers.

I believe that if you look at increased investment in DRMS (e.g. image
watermarking technologies) you'll see that the big push began several years
ago as well.

Napster et al have been responsible for the suddenly heightened public
interest, but I think it would be naive to say that publishers weren't
several years ahead of this game.  In fact, I'd go so far as to argue that
it was the publishers' IP grab in the 90s that created Napster, not the
other way around.

P.S.:  get ready for a big attack on Feist again this year.  And start
paying serious attention to UCITA.

JQ Johnson                      Office: 115F Knight Library
Academic Education Coordinator  mailto:jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu
1299 University of Oregon       phone: 1-541-346-1746; -3485 fax
Eugene, OR  97403-1299          http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~jqj/