[WEB4LIB] Re: Death of the Copyright - cost analysis

Masters, Gary E GEM at CDRH.FDA.GOV
Wed Mar 21 13:16:44 EST 2001

This will be my last post on this line, but it came to me that the cost of
putting a CD into a store is much more than the cost of the plastic CD.  We
have shipping, inventory and lots of people expenses that are not there when
it is just a digital file that is sent on the Internet.  The point is that
if the publishers have an electronic distribution system they have
confidence in, the real cost will be so low that they can (If they want)
sell a song for cents.  Books for a dollar or so.  What I think we need is a
compromise.  Usually that means putting enough pressure (fear?) to both
sides and waiting for a treaty of sorts.  Customers can fear jail or fine
and vendors can fear a total meltdown of copyright.

I don't have any problem with copy protection or encryption if it does not
get in my way.  But my final thought is that if the cost is right they will
distribute and we will buy.  Some sort of micro-payment system would just be
icing on the cake.  There have been several who have tried and seem to be
failing.  This may be what saves them.

Thoughts?

Gary

Gary E. Masters