[WEB4LIB] Re: Computers in Libraries and the death of copyright

Richard Wiggins wiggins at mail.com
Tue Mar 20 15:04:54 EST 2001

There are some pretty ironic cross-currents to this discussion.

Copyright is dead as far as the young Web generation is concerned, or at least many of them.  As far as millions of users of Napster are concerned, "might make right."  If I've got the technical ability to make an MP-encoded CD-R or download to my Rio, then I have the right to do it.  It'll be interesting to see if the playing out of the court case has any educational effect here.  (Personally, my guess is some off-shore Noopster will arise, and we get to ask REALLY interesting questions about obligations to filter illegal transnational content...)

What worries me is a world in which millions ignore copyright, so it's dead for them, but libraries and librarians honor copyright judiciously.  In such a world, the RIAA and Disney et al may clamp down ever tighter with DCMA and copy protection technologies, while libraries continue to honor the letter and the spirit of the law.

At the same CiL conference, I gave a presentation proposing that the Library of Congress should make plans to digitize the full text of all its book holdings. (See http://www.netfact.com/present/rww-cil-digital-lc-mar2001.html) An immediate objection is that there is no rights management system to secure permissions from and compensate the copyright holders, therefore we can't undertake the project.  (LC, for instance, has 29 million books and pamphlets, of which perhaps only 1/3 is old enough to be clearly public domain.)

For good or for ill, Napster is forcing the record companies to consider new modalities that will allow millions to do their downloads, perhaps on a subscription basis.

I call this the paradox of latent value for high-quality, low-volume content.  An obscure book can sit on the shelf in a library forever.  The publisher has long since seen the last dollar of revenue from the book, and the author has long since gotten the last nickel in royalty payments.  Some future grad student who lives on the Web far away from that library might be able to do better scholarship with access to that book in digital form.  But we won't digitize the book, and index it, and make it available over the Net for free, because that author and his/her publisher might demand compensation -- and because our interpretation of the law says it's a violation.

So millions of undergraduate students siphon away billions in value from the recording industry, and it takes them over a year to stop the primary enabler.  Millions of books and journals with very specific latent value sit in libraries, and will never see the light of digital day.

I am a big believer in copyright and the rule of law, but I must be the only author on the planet who wishes those who have published my words would leave them online forever, and not lose the archives.  An article I wrote on "How the Internet Works" for Internet World magazine a few years back fell off their online archives recently.  My hyperlinked list of publications is broken. The college professors who had that article hyperlinked in their syllabi send ME the irate email.  I'll never make another nickel off that article.  Yet Internet.com, the copyright holder, has just turned it into link rot -- and they'd probably sue me if I put the article back online.

I am cheering for the commercial digital content repackagers -- the Ebraries and Net Libraries and the Questias and the Proquests and the Northern Lights and the New York Timeses -- because it isn't going to be libraries that deliver the good stuff in bulk to the folks who could benefit. Who in the library world will be able to force publishers and authors of good, but obscure, low-volume, content, to allow Web-wide access?

Things are topsy-turvy.

/rich