A Requiem for Argus Associates

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Fri Mar 16 17:07:12 EST 2001

Since I haven't seen it mentioned here yet, many of you may not know
that our friends and colleagues at the information architecture firm
Argus Associates (http://www.argus-inc.com/) are closing their doors.
Apparently a victim of the economic downturn, what was once a highly
successful firm is now no more.

If this was a run-of-the-mill commercial company, I would not be
writing this message. But it wasn't. With Lou Rosenfeld and Peter
Morville in the lead, Argus was instrumental in fostering and helping
to define the nascent information architecture profession. They quite
literally wrote the book on it.

As librarians, Lou and Peter provided a perspective on this field
that was unique among those active in it. Then amply demonstrated the
utility of librarianship to the interdisciplinary field of
information architecture. There is no better statement of that
contribution, in fact, than their book.

I don't know yet where Lou, Peter, and their former employees are
headed from here, but wherever it is, I would keep an eye on it if I
were you. And if any of you are hiring out there, run, don't walk, to
the page (http://argus-inc.com/contact/argus_alumni.shtml) that lists
the talent that was once Argus Associates.
Roy