[WEB4LIB] js/css/dhtml and accessibility (was Re: Free Britannica Going Away)

Raymond Wood raywood at magma.ca
Fri Mar 16 09:54:16 EST 2001

Free software like 'Junkbuster' will block web page ads - I know it runs on
Linux, but I don't know about Windows.

I use a text browser that supports tables and frames for most of my web
browsing.  This of course eliminates the ads, and speeds up the page downloads.
 I use a graphical browser when I actually need it.

On a different note, I notice that more web pages are using a combination of
javascript and CSS to produce 'drop-down' or 'fly-out' menu navigation
structures.  While these are interesting tools, it does concern me that core
navigational functionality seems to require client javascript to be activated in
these cases.  This means that text browsers and browsers with javascript turned
off may experience more difficulty navigating these kinds of web pages -- or
does it?  I am curious to know what others on this list think of the fly-out
menu phenomenon in the context of web page accessibility.

Thoughts?

Raymond