[WEB4LIB] website training and review - what works?

Tony Barry me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
Fri Mar 16 08:29:08 EST 2001

At 6:32 AM -0800 15/3/01, Carrie Phillips wrote:
>The first part is difficult to fix:  the new site's architecture was set up,
>in the mind of the design firm, to appeal to the prospective student, and
>the "meat" of the library's section of the campus site *is* hard to find.
>We're not able change the architecture, so we need to educate our users.  If
>any of you have been in this situation, what educational methods work??  How
>do we get the word out?

A sensible design would have at the top level links for -

Prospective students
Academic staff
Administration
Undergraduates
Research students
Industry partners :-)

and the serious stuff would be at the next page down.

The top page could have all the flim flam, like useless graphics and
flash animations, beloved of CEOs and you could get to the serious
stuff after that.

Tony
--
phone  +61 2 6241 7659