[WEB4LIB] WEB4LIB digest 2167

Kathryn Waggoner waggonek at gvsu.edu
Thu Mar 15 16:03:58 EST 2001

I am attending a conference right now and will be back in my office on Tuesday, March 20.

--Kathryn

>>> "web4lib at webjunction.org" 03/15/01 15:39 >>>

			    WEB4LIB Digest 2167

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) Re: What's good design? :-)
	by "Garwood, Steve" <sgarwood at camden.lib.nj.us>
  2) First collaborative 24x7 live digital reference service?
	by "Sloan, Bernie" <bernies at uillinois.edu>
  3) Re: Free Britannica Going Away
	by Daniel Messer <dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us>
  4) Re: SOLVED  Re: Internet Explorer Restrictions
	by "Vermeersch, Scott M." <Vermeersch.Scott at mayo.edu>
  5) Re: website training and review - what works?
	by Daniel Messer <dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us>
  6) RE: website training and review - what works?
	by "Brian Cockburn" <cockbuba at jmu.edu>
  7) Minor Correction
	by Andrew Mutch <amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us>
  8) RE: website training and review - what works?
	by "Hartman, Robin" <rhartman at hiu.edu>
  9) FW: website training and review - what works?
	by "Gimon, Charles A" <cagimon at mplib.org>
 10) Re: Free Britannica Going Away
	by "Mike Madin" <madin at academicinfo.net>
 11) Re: Free Britannica Going Away
	by Daniel Messer <dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us>
 12) Re: Free Britannica Going Away
	by "Nancy Sosna Bohm" <plum at ulink.net>
 13) Free Britannica end date
	by Gail Skiff <gskiff at esls.lib.wi.us>

Topic No. 1

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 10:57:58 -0500
From: "Garwood, Steve" <sgarwood at camden.lib.nj.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at webjunction.org>
Subject: Re: What's good design? :-)

I don't know if this would be of any help but...

This is from a class I use to teach called "Principles of Good Web-Design"

http://reference.camden.lib.nj.us/classes/garwood/design/

Please note: there are some design "mistakes" in there to highlight some
issues.

Steve

dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
509-452-8541 ext 712
102 N 3rd St  Yakima, WA  98901
-----------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
                                         -Hunter S. Thompson

------------------------------

Topic No. 2

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 10:07:16 -0600
From: "Sloan, Bernie" <bernies at uillinois.edu>
To: "'web4lib at webjunction.org'" <web4lib at webjunction.org>,
Subject: First collaborative 24x7 live digital reference service?

I am trying to establish who was the first collaborative (i.e., more than
one library) live (i.e., interactive, synchronous, etc) digital reference
service to offer service on a 24x7 basis??

So far I have just one candidate: the Ready for Reference project in
Illinois. All the other projects I am aware of are either single
institutions, or collaborative projects that have hours less than 24x7.

Thanks in advance for any leads on other collaborative 24x7 services!

Bernie Sloan
Senior Library Information Systems Consultant
University of Illinois Office for Planning and Budgeting
338 Henry Administration Building
506 S. Wright Street
Urbana, IL  61801
Phone: (217) 333-4895
Fax:     (217) 265-0454
E-mail: bernies at uillinois.edu

------------------------------

Topic No. 3

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 16:08:15 -0000
From: Daniel Messer <dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us>
To: web4lib at webjunction.org
Subject: Re: Free Britannica Going Away

That doesn't surprise me at all. From what I've been reading recently,
Internet advertising, especially banner ads on websties are proving to be a
flop. Companies that advertise aren't getting a decent return for their money
from banner ads and thus pulling their money from the companies that design
and distribute banner ads. From what I gather you can expect a LOT of sites,
library related or not, to start going to members only. This may even include
the free internet providers who rely on banner ads.

Dan

--
The subject in question...
-------------
dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
509-452-8541 ext 712
102 N 3rd St  Yakima, WA  98901
-----------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
                                         -Hunter S. Thompson

------------------------------

Topic No. 4

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 10:10:16 -0600
From: "Vermeersch, Scott M." <Vermeersch.Scott at mayo.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at webjunction.org>
Subject: Re: SOLVED  Re: Internet Explorer Restrictions

Have you taken a look at the Public Web Browser from TeamSoftware?
(http://TeamSoftware.bizland.com) The browser is an Internet Explorer 5.5
front end and be configured anyway you want it. Plus the browser has quite a
bit of other features that make it well suited for public computer use.

Scott Vermeersch
Mayo Clinic Libraries

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 16:18:11 -0000
From: Daniel Messer <dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us>
To: web4lib at webjunction.org
Subject: Re: website training and review - what works?

In addition to student and faculty focus groups, you might try sending a
little survey out to the students and faculty at large. Maybe drop some in
the professors' mailboxes and have them distribute to their classes.
Something like this was done several times while I was in college and it
seemed to work well. How you want them returned is up to you, but some profs
might object to collecting them and returning them. The reason for this being
that sometimes focus groups don't quite match the student and faculty
population at large and you might get a whole bunch of people in the group
that can't find X, but the real problem is that the rest of the students
can't find Y.

Another thing you might try, especially after you've discovered your specific
needs, is to distribute bookmarks or something like that with the library's
URL on it and maybe some FAQs. I understand what your admins are trying to
accomplish, after all trying to "sell" the college to people who already go
there is like preaching to the choir. Yet the library's site should pretty
much be geared directly for the current students as they are the folks that
will use it the most.

Good luck!
Dan

Carrie Phillips <phillipsc at bluffton.edu> said:

> Greetings, WEB4LIB,
>
> These questions are geared to those of you in academic library settings...
>
> Here's our situation:
>
> Our campus has recently overhauled its website design and architecture, and
> I've had to redesign the library portion of the campus site to match
> visually.  We're now hearing two-fold rumors about campus that students are
> having trouble finding our library home page from the campus home page, and
> that once they do find us, they are having trouble knowing where to go to
> find what they need (research databases, etc.).
<SNIP!>

--
The subject in question...
-------------
dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
509-452-8541 ext 712
102 N 3rd St  Yakima, WA  98901
-----------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
                                         -Hunter S. Thompson

------------------------------

Topic No. 6

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 12:03:42 -0500
From: "Brian Cockburn" <cockbuba at jmu.edu>
To: <phillipsc at bluffton.edu>,

May I suggest anything by Jakob Nielson and a book called Web Site
Usability:  A designer's guide by Jared M. Spool and others.

The book is mostly e-commerce related but that is the environment that is
informing students expectations regarding functionality and usability
anyway.

BAC

Brian Cockburn
Digital Services Librarian
James Madison University
VMail:  540.568.6978  EMail:  cockbuba at jmu.edu
Public Calendar:  http://calendar.yahoo.com/cockbuba

These questions are geared to those of you in academic library settings...

Here's our situation:

Our campus has recently overhauled its website design and architecture, and
I've had to redesign the library portion of the campus site to match
visually.  We're now hearing two-fold rumors about campus that students are
having trouble finding our library home page from the campus home page, and
that once they do find us, they are having trouble knowing where to go to
find what they need (research databases, etc.).

The first part is difficult to fix:  the new site's architecture was set up,
in the mind of the design firm, to appeal to the prospective student, and
the "meat" of the library's section of the campus site *is* hard to find.
We're not able change the architecture, so we need to educate our users.  If
any of you have been in this situation, what educational methods work??  How
do we get the word out?

The second part is easy to fix, since we have complete control of the
library portion of the website architecture (once the patron finds us on the
campus site), but we're not sure how to fix it.  We'd like to form both
student and faculty focus groups to sit down with us and tell us what they
can find on our site and what they can't.  Have any of you tried this?  Is
it a good way to work this kind of a problem out?

We have a small campus of 1100 students and several faculty members who I
think would be interested in working with us on this.  I'm hoping some of
you can tell me what your past experiences have been with this kind of
thing.

Thanks for your time.  Please reply to phillipsc at bluffton.edu.

--
Carrie Phillips
Computer Technician/ILL Assistant/O-PCIRC
phillipsc at bluffton.edu

------------------------------

Topic No. 7

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 12:23:59 -0500
From: Andrew Mutch <amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at webjunction.org>
Subject: Minor Correction

I made a small mistake in the instructions I sent last night.  In step 2, it should
say:

SpecifyDefaultButtons

That's what I get for working late.
:)

It is posted correctly at the help page:

http://tln.lib.mi.us/~amutch/pro/ie/restrictions.htm

If you follow that page, you'll be good to go.

"Andrew I. Mutch" wrote:

> [...]
> > installation you can set these values and IE will look the way you want - but
> > you'll see the default toolbar for a second until it loads yours.
> >
> > If you enable NoToolbarCustomize, you'll get the default buttons.  This makes a
> > sort of sense if you know IE makes the change at runtime, and you're telling it
> > not to allow the account to change the toolbar.
> >
> > I would speculate that since the policy editor is making registry changes that
> > you could make yourself, there's a way to get this to work without policies;
> > perhaps there is another setting which conflicts with the button-removal
> > settings.  Someone with time on their hands could probably enable registry
> > editing in one of the Gates public accounts and look at the settings.  I'm
> > trying to get our lab ready for its National Library Week opening, so I will
> > leave that as an exercise for someone else. :-)

Topic No. 8

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 09:52:47 -0800
From: "Hartman, Robin" <rhartman at hiu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at webjunction.org>

We have the same problem with the library being hard to find from our
institution's home page for much the same reason. What we have done is to
publish the *library's* homepage every chance we get--on every handout and
bookmark, every datedue slip, every email, announcement, or blurb. I have
not done any testing to determine whether this approach has been successful
but I feel better about it.

With regard to the second problem, I am getting ready to do some usability
testing on a small part of our library site, but haven't even settled on the
approach I'm going to take yet. So I'm not much help there.

Robin

%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%
Robin R. Hartman -- Associate Librarian of Systems and Technical Services
Darling Library -- Hope International University
2500 E. Nutwood Ave. -- Fullerton, CA 92831
(714) 879-3901, x1212 -- FAX (714) 879-1041
rhartman at hiu.edu

------------------------------

Topic No. 9

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 12:09:08 -0600
From: "Gimon, Charles A" <cagimon at mplib.org>
To: "'web4lib at webjunction.org'" <web4lib at webjunction.org>
Subject: FW: website training and review - what works?

One possible thing to pursue: you could talk to your
tech people about the possibility of setting up a
separate virtual hostname that would point directly
to the start page for your Library, something like:

library.bluffton.edu

That way, you could market the short, memorable address
to students as a way of bypassing whatever complexities
there might be in the full site.

--Charles Gimon
  Web Coordinator
  Minneapolis Public Library

------------------------------

Topic No. 10

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 09:47:18 -0800
From: "Mike Madin" <madin at academicinfo.net>
To: "Multiple recipients of list" <web4lib at webjunction.org>

A specific example is Academic Info.  Ad revenue is down 90% since last fall
so we were forced to increase the number of ads per page earlier this month.
Initially (1998-1999), we relied solely on donations but with only around 1
in 300,000 visitors donating we were forced to introduce ads at the
beginning of 2000.

There seems to be an odd irony with online advertising: When you pay for a
print subscription advertising is assumed but with free online content ads
are anathema. For example, when you subscribe to the print version of
American Libraries (or any other magazine or newspaper) advertising isn't
giving a second thought but when you access the *free* online version ads
become offensive.

Even though I'm no fan of corporate America, I'd rather live with online
advertising than see the demise of all independent search engines,
directories and portals.

Just a few thoughts,

Mike Madin
Academic Info - http://www.academicinfo.net
Seattle

Send me an email if you'd like to be added to Academic Info's free monthly
announcement list.

> That doesn't surprise me at all. From what I've been reading recently,
> Internet advertising, especially banner ads on websties are proving to be
> flop. Companies that advertise aren't getting a decent return for their
money
> from banner ads and thus pulling their money from the companies that
design
> and distribute banner ads. From what I gather you can expect a LOT of
sites,
> library related or not, to start going to members only. This may even
include
> the free internet providers who rely on banner ads.
>

> Dan

------------------------------

Topic No. 11

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:18:18 -0000
From: Daniel Messer <dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us>
To: web4lib at webjunction.org

I fully agree with you. I really don't mind the ads all that much, but the
reason I don't mind them is I don't hardly even see them. I must look at
around 50 banner ads per day. However, I don't really *look* at them. I
notice their existence and proceed with whatever it was I was doing. Since I
don't remember what the ad was for, and I don't remember what product or what
brand the ad was pushing, the ad failed with me. The point is that I flip
past the online ad and give it just as little thought as I would an ad in a
magazine.

Advertisers were trying to use a method called "branding" with these ads. By
this you'll see a product and associate it with a brand name. For instance,
Band-aids, Frisbee, and Tums are all successful branding ventures. But with
so many ads on the net, and no one looking at them or paying attention in
anyway, the ads are failing, just as quickly as the companies. If it took me
clicking on an ad every now and then just to keep a good service free, I'd do
it too.

Dan
Mike Madin <madin at academicinfo.net> said:

> There seems to be an odd irony with online advertising: When you pay for a
> print subscription advertising is assumed but with free online content ads
> are anathema. For example, when you subscribe to the print version of
> American Libraries (or any other magazine or newspaper) advertising isn't
> giving a second thought but when you access the *free* online version ads
> become offensive.
>
> Even though I'm no fan of corporate America, I'd rather live with online
> advertising than see the demise of all independent search engines,
> directories and portals.

The subject in question...
-------------
dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
509-452-8541 ext 712
102 N 3rd St  Yakima, WA  98901
-----------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
                                         -Hunter S. Thompson

------------------------------

Topic No. 12

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 10:21:46 -0800
From: "Nancy Sosna Bohm" <plum at ulink.net>
To: <tdowling at ohiolink.edu>,

It's still up as I type. I don't see an expected close date. Anyone have
that info?

> .html> reports that britannica.com is shutting down free, ad-supported
> access to the Encyclopaedia Britannica.  If I weren't busy with my NCAA
> brackets, I'd organize a betting pool on what other ad-supported,
> library-related sites would go next.
>
> Thomas ("For Entertainment Purposes Only") Dowling
> OhioLINK - Ohio Library and Information Network
> tdowling at ohiolink.edu

------------------------------

Topic No. 13

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 12:42:28 -0800
From: Gail Skiff <gskiff at esls.lib.wi.us>
To: web4lib at webjunction.org
Subject: Free Britannica end date

I just talked to my service rep and he said the free version of Britannica
will be available throughout the summer, possibly will be pulled September
of this year.
Of course, this could change...

Gail Skiff - Info2go
Cedarburg Public Library