SOLVED Re: [WEB4LIB] Re: Internet Explorer Restrictions

Andrew I. Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Wed Mar 14 22:20:03 EST 2001

I had encountered the same problem that Bob had with the toolbar buttons.
Now that I've figured out the fix in Win2K, I'm betting this works in
other versions of Windows.

OK, here's the fix that works:

1) First, ignore the settings listed in the JSI Tip and the MS KB articles
and use this registry key for the tool bar buttons:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER[OR
LOCAL_MACHINE]\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\

2) Next, add this REG_DWORD key and set its value to 1

SpecifyButtonsDefault

If you don't enable this setting, the button settings won't work.

3) Most important, add your button restrictions as REG_DWORD keys such as:

Btn_Back [for the Back Button]

and set its value to 2

2!  Strange, yes? It is but that's what we discovered in Win2K using the
Group Policies and comparing the restrictions against the Registry.  I
went back and discovered that the same information could be found in the
files that are created by IEAK when you set Browser restrictions.

I've tested this on a Win2K laptop with IE 5.5 SP1 by directly editing the
Registry, not using Group Policies.  But, I'm going to bet that this will
also work on WindowsNT and Windows98.  Still to be tested is how other
registry settings like "NoToolBarCustomize" and other settings affect
these changes.

If I get a chance, I'll try to make up a page that covers these settings
and which registry keys and settings you should be using.  I hope this is
helpful.  Happy hacking!

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library