[WEB4LIB] AOL 6 and proxy access problems?

Mark Pecaut pecautm at missouri.edu
Tue Mar 13 14:41:44 EST 2001

AOL, like @Home and others, proxy their user's http connections
(web browsing).  I don't know the details of how AOL does this,
but it doesn't prevent users from using either a URL-rewriting
proxy server (such as ezproxy) or an application-level proxy
(such as squid, the kind you need to configure your browser to
use).

AOL's browser can't be configured to use an application-level
proxy server.  The solution is to connect to AOL with the AOL
program, then open a browser such as IE or Netscape, which
can be configured to use an application-level proxy.

AOL does also have firewalls (firewalls are not the same as proxy
servers), but this shouldn't interfere with most proxy servers.
This is done at the network level, so it applies to all AOL
users.

I really doubt they are doing anything special with the
new AOL 6.0 program - it would be much easier and effective to
filter traffic with their routers rather doing it through the
program.  If users have problems, tell them to open a separate
web browser (like Netscape or IE) after they connect.

Hope this helps,

-Mark