[WEB4LIB] Re: Web-based message boards vs. email discussion groups

Chris Shaffer shaffer at uic.edu
Fri Mar 2 14:40:40 EST 2001

>Another "pro" for listserver discussions is that it is possible for
>branches of discussions to take place "off-line."

Users can take discussions offline on a web board, using mailto links,
web-based individual messages, chat, and other features.

>Listserv pros:
>--Users have only a single place to check for messages in all the
>discussions they want to follow, i.e. their inbox

Users can filter their email.  For example, I find the number of email
discussion messages I receive overwhelming, and filter them all.  Sometimes
it's two weeks or more between checks of the Web4Lib mailbox.

These are just two examples.  As other posters have noted, virtually every
feature mentioned can be implemented in either medium.  I read several web
boards that 'push' information out to users, via email or by refreshing web
pages.  One web board I read runs on my workstation throughout the day, and
refreshes itself more often than my email does.  And many of the email
discussion groups I read have archives.  In fact, I used to read Web4Lib
via the web archive, and not via email.

I think Roy Tennant hit the nail on the head when he said "This is my
personal opinion, others prefer to have the arrangement be just the
opposite."  Each user is individual, with different preferences.  I'd
really like to see a collaboration/discussion technology that allows for
individuality.  YahooGroups (eGroups), for example, lets users choose to
receive messages by email, or to read them on the web.

I want something that supports communication to groups and individuals by
email, by web, by text or audio chat, by videoconference, or by whatever
new technology pops up in the future.  Today's web bulletin boards and
email discussion groups are an example of technologies begging to be
merged.  In the near future, I doubt if there will be such a distinction.

-----
Chris Shaffer, Technology Coordinator
National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Greater Midwest Region
Library of the Health Sciences, University of Illinois at Chicago
shaffer at uic.edu     http://www.nnlm.nlm.nih.gov/gmr/
312-996-2464 (voice)     312-996-2226 (fax)