[WEB4LIB] Re:Monitor Resolutions

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Mar 2 13:01:06 EST 2001

> > Am I wrong in assuming this?
>
> Never mind, I see now that I am wrong: the percentage is based upon the
> full-screen, so a partially minimized window will require scrolling to
see
> the right side of a table that is set to a width of 100%.
> So then, is there a bit of script or a browser-proof style that would
set
> the width to the percentage of the window instead of the screen?

No, you were about right the first time.  Percentage widths should be
calculated as percentages of the parent block element.

Personally, I no longer feel compelled to offer bug compatibility with
IE3, but you may want to be aware that its original implementation of
percentage widths for table cells always calculated them as a percentage
of the window, rather than of the table.  As of IE4, it calculates them
against the width of the table.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu