[WEB4LIB] question re: integrating

Eric Hellman eric at openly.com
Tue Mar 13 00:19:44 EST 2001

You're not alone with this.

One development to keep an eye on is jake, a free-data/open-software
project started at Yale by Dan Chudnov and friends.

An article about jake, "jake: Overview and Status Report", by
Kimberly Parker, Cynthia Crooker, and Dan Chudnov (all from Yale) was
published as Serials Review
26(4):12-17, 2000. A copy of the article (307kb pdf)
http://jake.med.yale.edu/jake-overview-serrev.pdf
is available by agreement with Serials Review.

Web: http://jake.med.yale.edu/, http://jake.med.yale.edu/docs/about.html

My company offers services and has contributed client software
intended to make it easy to customize jake for your library; read
about it from http://jake.openly.com/

Two other small companies offering serials data services are Serials
Solutions (http://serialssolutions.com) and JournalWebCite
(http://www.journalwebcite.com/).

I think that one way or another,
1.  periodicals data will come increasingly from outsources.
2. the data will become more dynamic and harder to pin down.

Eric

At 2:23 PM -0800 3/12/01, Renee J. LaPerriere wrote:
>>Greetings all--
>
>>We keep our list of some 1,700 periodical subscriptions (paper and
>>microform) in an Access database, from which we print reports for
>>in-library use and produce html documents for our web page.  What
>>we want to do is to create a single integrated list of all the
>>periodicals we receive in all formats, including electronic.  We
>>receive some 7,000 periodicals in ASCII text and/or pdf or related
>>image through the following database subscriptions: ABI/Inform
>>Global, Education Plus, and Periodical Abstracts Research II (all
>>ProQuest Direct), IDEAL, JSTOR, Science Direct, Ethnic NewsWatch,
>>Health Reference Center, Electric Library, and the databases of
>>Academic Universe (Lexis-Nexis).
>>
>>However, we don't want to re-invent the wheel.  So how are other
>>libraries integrating their electronic
>>received-through-database-subscription titles into their general
>>periodicals lists, for hard copy and webpage purposes?  Do any of
>>the vendors listed above make available delimited lists of
>>periodicals in full text/image, and if so how are those being
>>integrated into your libraries' periodicals lists?  And how do you
>>handle maintenance of this list, in the face of frequent changes in
>>what the databases offer in full text/image format?  Any pointers
>>or suggestions would be appreciated.
>>

>  >>><<< >>><<< >>><<< >>><<< >>><<< >>><<< >>><<< >>><<<
>Renée LaPerrière de Gutiérrez
>Reference/Special Collections Librarian
>rlaperriere at tamiu.edu
>http://www.tamiu.edu/~rlaperriere/