Public Browser & WinU

Dawn Kovacs d-kovacs at mail.wheaton.lib.il.us
Mon Mar 12 07:27:49 EST 2001

Hello,

Has anyone else had this problem running Public Browser with WinU?
We installed Public Browser (ver. 1.2.1) last week on our Internet
workstations that also run WinU (ver. 4.3).  On these workstations we
use WinU to hide the network drives, track the number of users and to
time-out after an hour.  We're having problems printing - the print
dialog box doesn't come up.  In fact the computer freezes, the arrow
disappears from the screen, and  we have to turn it off to restart.
After turning it off a few times it will show the dialog box and
print, but most of the time it's a problem.  The Public Browser.ini
has the line ShowPrintButtonDialog=True.

We've also heard complaints that this new browser is slow and takes
a long time to open a page.  When we were testing it (without WinU)
it was very fast.  We were sure everyone was going to love it - but
running under WinU it is noticably slower than Netscape or MSIE were.

All of our public workstations are Compaq pentium PCs with 64
MB RAM and run Windows 95.  Besides WinU we also have McAffee
Viruscan running.  We were planning to install Deep Freeze too, but
haven't done that yet.  Is anyone else having this problem?

Also, does anyone know how to get Public Brower to call up a specific
Web site through WinU?  Right now we have our buttons set to run the
program Netscape and the parameters field has the URL of the database
to call up.  When I change WinU to run the program Public Browser and
keep the URL in the parameters field I get an error message that
says we have an incorrect .ini file version, that the ini file needs
to be version 1.2.1.  We *are* running 1.2.1

I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments.  Thanks!

Dawn Kovacs
Head of Technical Services
Wheaton Public Library
Wheaton, Illinois