[WEB4LIB] tabindex in html

Susan Fariss FarissS at mail.nlm.nih.gov
Thu Jun 21 15:36:00 EDT 2001

Laura:

Here's some html I found that might help.  Does this do the trick?

In this example, the P element groups a set of links, the "class" attribute identifies it as a navigation bar (e.g., for style sheets), "tabindex" is set on an anchor following the group, and a link at the beginning of the group links to the anchor after the group.

   <HEAD>
   <TITLE>How to use our site</TITLE>
   </HEAD>
   <BODY>
     <P class="nav">
       [<a href="#skipnav">Bypass navigation bar</a>]
       [<a href="home.html">Home</a>]
       [<a href="search.html">Search</a>]
       [<a href="new.html">New and highlighted</a>]
       [<a href="sitemap.html">Site map</a>]
     </P>
     <H1><a name="skipnav" tabindex="1">How to use our site</A></H1>
   <!-- content of page -->
   </BODY>

Susan Fariss
National Library of Medicine