[WEB4LIB] Browser Hijackings

Helfrich, Gair GHelfrich at acmail.aclink.org
Thu Jun 21 13:14:37 EDT 2001

Andrew,

We experienced problems with http://www.bigred.com/ a couple months ago. It
seemed to hit us branch by branch (we have 9) and behaved as you described.
One or two branches a day seemed to be affected, but not all of them at one
time.

We use IE 5.5 in the library. If a user entered a bad domain we most
frequently ended up at bigred.  Occasionally we would get a bad domain name
message, but most often we were diverted to bigred.  On the surface it
appears like an innocuous directory of websites; however, one of our patrons
found that putting the word "porn" in their search field brought up lots of
"lovely" sites.

Thinking it was spyware I did a thorough search on it found virtually
nothing about it. This site generated more phone calls than I care to think
about, but, it disappeared as suddenly as it appeared, and the phone calls
stopped. We haven't seen it for a month or 6 weeks or so...or maybe the
branches have just stopped calling me.  But, that's probably not the case,
as it had appeared on my machine as well and I haven't seen it for some
time.

Hope this helps,
Gair Helfrich

Gair Helfrich
PC/Network Support
Atlantic County Library
40 Farragut Avenue
Mays Landing, NJ 08330
609-625-2776 ext. 6313  Fax: 609-625-8143