Link checkers?

Darryl Friesen Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
Thu Jun 21 10:17:22 EDT 2001

All the recent discussion on HTML and CSS validation has reminded me to ask
about a related topic, link checkers.  Anyone have a good one they like?

Ideally I'd like one that can be installed locally and run "off-line" (i.e
via cron) in the to produce reports.  It would also be great if it read the
Apache httpd.conf file, grab DocumentRoot and Aliased directories (web
directories that reside somewhere else other than with the main web pages),
and check files on the local file system instead of making HTTP requests for
them (for speed, and to keep my already large log files from getting even
larger).

Oh ya.  And it's got to be free.  :)

I've installed grabbed W3C's checklink.pl (which runs either on the command
line or as a CGI script), but it appears to be HTTP based only.  I've also
tried webxref, but it seems to have more than it's share of bugs, and
doesn't understand Alaised directories.

Do I ask too much?

- Darryl

  Darryl Friesen, B.Sc., Programmer/Analyst    Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca