[WEB4LIB] RE: Draft home page not usable on my IE 6

rich at richardwiggins.com rich at richardwiggins.com
Wed Jun 20 09:42:15 EDT 2001

The question isn't whether the beta browser is popular.  We know that some version of IE 6 will eventually be the majority browser.  The question is "how soon?" and "how close is the beta to the final product?"

Microsoft will be pushing IE 6 heavily with Office XP  and Windows XP (for good or for ill with its own set of issues worth an entirely different thread).

If I were launching a new Web look in June 2001 I'd sure want to know if the content works under IE6.  I wouldn't complain that some folks tried to help out by testing under that browser.   (But I'd also want to know about WebTV, Opera, AOL-IE, etc.)

If it's got serious HTML errors I'd fix those first.

How many folks use online services for site testing?  NetMechanic has had an HTML verifier for years now.  Now they have a tool called BrowserPhoto that takes a snapshot of a page under each of 14 browser variants.  (Not yet IE6).   Anyone ever try it?

http://netmechanic.com/browser-index.htm

/rich