[WEB4LIB] Re: Browser opened by MS Word

Caleb Tucker-Raymond ctuckerr at stmarys-ca.edu
Wed Jun 13 15:37:37 EDT 2001

> However, this shouldn't be necessary.  I just tried this on my own
> machine (NT4 SP6, Word 97, IE5.5, NS4.7, Opera 5.11) and the link
> opened in Opera just as it should.

I think this wouldn't be an issue if Jerry were using a stand-alone
executable browser like Opera or Netscape. As I understand it, Public Web
Browser is really just IE wearing a mask. It seems that Word prefers to
see right through that mask and go to naked IE.

[everything I know about PWB I learned from google searches]

What if PWB/IE weren't the default browser? Do other applications and
documents in windows need to call it?

If you only need an icon on the desktop or shortcut in the start menu for
your browser, maybe you can set up a dummy default browser (a windows
version of lynx would be my choice, or Netscape 2.0) and disable that
application to prevent the links from being followed from Word.

I'm sure this can cause all sorts of trouble--what happens if someone
really wants to test a link from Word? Does the computer crash and they
lose their paper? Will PWB/IE keep complaining it's not the default
browser?

Have fun

Caleb Tucker-Raymond
Electronic Systems Librarian