Browser opened by MS Word

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at ansernet.rcls.org
Wed Jun 13 14:23:35 EDT 2001

...I hesitate to mention a problem with MS products after reading some the current threads, but...
One of our libraries is reporting that patrons have been able to get around browsing controls we've put on the Netscape js.prefs files by opening up word, typing a URL in a new document, and clicking on it. That opens up IE, even though Netscape has been made the default browser. We tried adjusting the file associations for .htm and .html to go to Netscape, but Word still opens IE.
We're just beginning to roll out Public Web Browser to replace Netscape. However, I recreated the same problem on our in-house test machines. Even with PWB as the default browser and with file associations point to it, Word still opens IE directly. Since PWB is a shell for IE, we can't really disable IE as a solution. Any way to shut off the links in Word?

--
Jerry Kuntz
Electronic Resources Consultant
jkuntz at rcls.org