[WEB4LIB] Re: Little of GNU/Linux in Libraries (was: The beginning of the end for the

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Wed Jun 13 10:41:24 EDT 2001

DM>  But since most librarians aren't computer scientists and even fewer are
DM> telecommunications and networking techs they just simply do not understand why
DM> IT does some of the things that it does.

If they don't understand these things, it is because the IT folks, and
the Library IT folks in particular, aren't doing their job.  One of
the biggest parts of my job is to serve as a "translator" between the
library staff (and users) and the "IT folks" outside of the library.
Those outside may be the campus IT folks, vendors, telecom people, or
others.  I don't have to explain every bit of detail, and I may
translate into terms that the rest of the library staff understands
(often by analogy), but library staff also know that I'll provide them
with as much "techie geek detail stuff" as they wish to hear.  I've
learned that some never want to hear details, some always want
details, and some will only want them depending on their mood or the
topic.  If I can't enhance communication, I'm not doing my job.

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA