[WEB4LIB] Re: Where do you get support and why?

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Wed Jun 13 10:33:35 EDT 2001

Wednesday, June 13, 2001, 6:12:58 AM, you wrote:
RW> This reputation for unflinching stability (unlike the commonly
RW> acknowledged shenanigans of That Other OS) is very well-deserved, and a
RW> real relief to former Windows servers sysadmins who are used to having
RW> to reboot the server(s) at some regular interval (even daily - I kid you
RW> not) off-hours just to keep it/them up and running 'smoothly'.

Those things are in the past for anyone running Win2K.  This Win2KPro
box has been running 24/7 without a reboot for over sixty days.  It is
a web server and very heavily used machine for all sorts of
applications.

I have three Win2k servers that have run for over ninety days each
with no reboot.  They are busy webservers and proxy servers.
Yesterday all were rebooted, but not because they "needed it" or it
was a scheduled time.  We had a power failure and after twenty minutes
of running on UPS and no estimate of when the power would be restored,
we powered them down gracefully.  Of course the power came back up not
two minutes after they were powered down.

I'm not trying to engage in OS wars....just informing folks that
Windows 2000 is a solid, stable, and reliable product.  And, no, I
don't own any MSFT (unless it is in my CREF growth account).

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA