LSSI Introduces New Privacy Protections for Virtual Reference

Stephen Coffman coffmanfyi at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 12 02:17:30 EDT 2001

For as long as I've been involved with this field, privacy ... or rather the lack thereof ... has been a major concern with the various kinds of web collaboration software libraries have been adapting for reference ... including LSSI's own Virtual Reference services.  Most of this software was initially developed for use in ecommerce applications for companies who are very interested in knowing exactly who their customers were and what types of questions they were asking.  So, most web collaboration systems now in use by libraries are designed to track how each customer uses the system, the questions they have asked, the length of time they have spent online, and all sorts of other detailed information on the customer.   The software then allows you to pull up a 'customer profile' with detailed information on each of your patrons, right down to the complete transcripts of every session they have had on the system.

Now, don't get me wrong, having this personal information on our patrons can be very valuable in helping us design reference systems to better meet our patrons individual needs --- as long as 1. the information remains in the right hands (yours) and 2. the patron can choose whether they want to provide this information or not.   The problem is, that up until now, these systems (including LSSI's) collected the patron data automatically, and the patron had no opportunity to opt-out of data collection, even if they wanted to.   Not only that, but most virtual reference systems used by libraries are part of large hosted installations where both the software and your patron database are actually shared with many others even though you may only be able to see your portion of the data in your view of the larger customer database.  The most obvious example of this are the various 'free' co-browsing products that some libraries are using where the software company basically owns your patron data and the library has no right to it whatsoever.  But even some of the most sophisticated, high-end hosted applications have used shared databases because of the technical requirements of the software.  And even though each library may own its own data in these installations, and you may be protected by legal agreements, the fact of the matter is, that with any kind of a shared database, there is always the chance your data could fall into the wrong hands.

Because privacy has been a critical concern both for us, and for the many libraries we are helping to provide virtual reference services over the Web, we decided it was high time somebody did something about it.  So we did.

LSSI is pleased to announce we are introducing some important new privacy safeguards for all LSSI Virtual Reference installations.

First,  we are adding a special privacy check for all patron login screens that allows patrons to check a box to make themselves anonymous when they first logon to a reference session.  If the 'make me anonymous' box is checked, the software automatically destroys all personal customer data on that question once the reference session is complete and the customer has been emailed their transcript.  Libraries can configure the 'make me anonymous' button so that it works as either an opt-out choice (patron has to click on it to make themselves anonymous) or an opt-in choice .. 'make me anonymous' is checked by default, and the patron has to uncheck it to share their personal information.

Secondly, and perhaps most importantly, we are eliminating all shared databases on all LSSI Virtual Reference installations.  By the end of June, each of the libraries or collaboratives using LSSI Virtual Reference Services will have their own individual installation of the software, including their own patron database.   All libraries on LSSI systems will now each have complete administrative control over their own systems, including the ability to add, modify and delete their own patron data, the ability to run standard and custom reports on their own databases, to purge or archive records at will, and the ability to add and delete queues, users, scripts and other elements whenever they want.  These features will give libraries  both much greater control over your own systems, and better protection for the confidential patron information you are collecting ... if, and when the patrons decide they want to give it to you, that is, ... because with LSSI Virtual Reference systems, that decision again rests with the patrons themselves, as well it should.

We will be demonstrating these new privacy enhancements along with a variety of new and innovative developments in LSSI's Virtual Reference software ... like automatic customer satisfaction surveys that pop up at the end of reference sessions, library-specific Virtual Reference icons that pitons can download to their desktops so they can click for a librarian any time they need one, and much, much more.   So come by LSSI's Exhibit #3245, and see what Virtual Reference for libraries is all about.  We look forward to seeing you there.

Steve Coffman
Product Development Manager
LSSI Virtual Reference Systems
1-800-638-8725