Little of GNU/Linux in Libraries (was: The beginning of the end for the Netscape Browser???)

Chris LeBlanc leblanc at ALMARK.lamar.edu
Mon Jun 11 09:45:05 EDT 2001

Mr. Goerwitz pointed out that most libraries have not adopted Open
Source software (and in particular the GNU/Linux system) and was
a bit scathing of them for this, even if he did not wish to sound
that way.

I am at one of those libraries who is running MS products all
over the place.  I support over 20 machine in our Reference lab,
which are mostly used for Internet research, but they all run
Windows.  The reason for this is not that they are easier to
support, or it is easier to do this than others, it is because
of the other programs we need on them.  We need Books In Print,
Ulrich's, PsychLit databases, and a few others who only have
Windows clients.  If we had an easy way to move this to an
Internet-Based system, or at least a system that used browsers
to access, then we could dump Windows out there and all of the
security hassles it is.

The simple truth is, until we get alternatives to Windows client
programs, we are stuck with Windows.  I use GNU/Linux myself
(Slackware 7.0 with additions), but I can not go to my boss and
say that we should change the machines in our lab, and loose
half of the functionality on them.

As for Librarians being apathetic or reactionary to IT, it comes
more from unfamiliarity then from fear or loathing.  IT
rarely tries to help librarians understand, and most of the
time is because of a lack of time/resources, than of un-
willingness.

Thanks,

Christopher LeBlanc
Lamar University Library - Beaumont, Texas
leblanc at library.lamar.edu