An "impossible" situation

Masters, Gary E GEM at CDRH.FDA.GOV
Fri Jun 8 11:04:34 EDT 2001

This is what I just sent to a data provider:

One of my associates, Captain Pytel, who has a subscription with the user
name cdrh, is unable to sign in.  I have tried to do this on three different
computers without success.  However, when he uses the computers (two) in the
front room, he is able to access information without his user name or
password being requested.  Since all of FDA has only one IP address, it is
not likely that his is IP recognition.  He says that he was able to use your
product on several different workstations in our library in the past with no
problem.

In his contact  with your support office, they tell him that his workstation
is the fault.  I find this difficult to understand, since it has been tried
on two other computers without success  we have the same result when he is
logged into our network or when I log in as myself to our network.

Can you check his configuration in your system.   Perhaps in our activity we
have tried to log in with his user name at the same time at two different
computers and that may have caused the problem.

Has anyone seen a problem like this?   To sum it up, we have workstations
where he has access without signing in and others where he is required to
sign in, but can not.  The company rep that he talked to said he tried the
user name and password and it worked there.

Of course this is Friday and perhaps it is an obvious thing that I just
don't see.

Is it obvious to you?  Then please let me know.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary E. Masters
Librarian (Systems)