[WEB4LIB] LINUX on a public workstation reprise

Kay McCoy mccoyk at raleigh.lib.wv.us
Tue Jun 19 10:22:15 EDT 2001

Charles says:
> You should be able to have a single file in the directory be open to write
> globally, while the directory itself is only writable by root.

My co-worker says "it doesn't work"  - if you can't write to a directory as
user, you can't write to a file in that directory as user.    If you are
logged in as a user, root is not the one writing to the file.  Does that
make sense?

Bill says,
>Here's a pretty evil idea, create a ramdisk, and copy their home directory
to there.
>Then to clear it out, just reboot.

We're still thinking about that one;  but we had already discarded the idea
of writing a batch file (which I know is called something else in Linux) to
wipe out the directory when it reboots because those files it needs would be
erased also.  Apparently the user directory has files that have to be there
as well as space for the user to save their own files.   We can't figure out
how to get rid of any files that are saved without also deleting the files
that are needed.   Seems like we would have the same problem with a ramdisk.
Wouldn't we?

Kay McCoy    mccoyk at raleigh.lib.wv.us
Automation Manager
Fayette County Public Libraries    http://fayette.lib.wv.us
531 Summit Street
Oak Hill, WV  25901     phone/fax:  304-465-5664