LINUX on a public workstation reprise

Kay McCoy mccoyk at raleigh.lib.wv.us
Tue Jun 19 09:24:12 EDT 2001

Thanks to those of you who have made suggestions about securing the user
directory from patrons on a Linux Workstation.   However, my co-worker who
is actually working on this project says that the responses tended to
suggest that we write protect the directory.  That won't work as the system
needs to write to at least one of the files in that directory.  Any other
ideas?   I thought a bunch of you were using Linux workstations for the
public in libraries.  Are you all just letting patrons write to the hard
drive?

Raymond - you suggested the Linux Terminal Server Project.  We had looked at
that yesterday and thought that was a little more complex than we are trying
to tackle right now.   We just want to set up one or two Linux workstations
which will be on a network with other computers and servers running Windows.
We have some donated computers with no OS and thought that this would be a
fun, inexpensive way to get them out on the floor quickly.

Thanks for any more ideas you can send our way.

Kay McCoy    mccoyk at raleigh.lib.wv.us
Automation Manager
Fayette County Public Libraries    http://fayette.lib.wv.us
531 Summit Street
Oak Hill, WV  25901     phone/fax:  304-465-5664