[WEB4LIB] Re: Little of GNU/Linux in Libraries (was: The beginning of the end for the

c.murdock cmurdock at ccfls.org
Tue Jun 12 16:09:40 EDT 2001

>The only thing that is
> keeping Linux down is the user interface. People are scared of Linux
> because t's a high intensity command line driven system that gives you
> total control over your computer. Folks don't want to learn complicated
> commands nor do they want complete control over their computer.

Being a Linux/OpenBSD/Windows user myself, I agree with most of what Dan has
to say, but I really must disagree with his statement that Linux is totally
oriented around the command line.  Well, sort of.  Linux definitely is
command line based, which I personally think is a tremendous plus, but I
think that the graphical interfaces and programs available have really
matured to the point that the average Windows user would have no trouble
doing the things they usually do, i.e., web browsing, email, word processing,
and maybe some graphics editing.  In fact, my goal is to replace most of my
library's staff computers with thin clients running Mandrake 8 and KDE 2.
The problem is those few programs that don't have a viable equivalent in
Linux, like MS Publisher.  (If someone knows of one, please tell me!)

So, I don't totally disagree, but I don't want anyone to be scared off
because of the command line.  With the new GUIs available, you could probably
get away with not using it at all, unless you're installing a new program
that must be compiled from scratch (which isn't as hard as it sounds).  And I
feel that once you get used to it, you'll find it indispensable.  Think of it
as DOS, but much better.

Just my two cents.
Cindy

--