[WEB4LIB] Re: flash image on our home page

Richard L. Goerwitz III richard at goerwitz.com
Fri Jun 29 20:13:18 EDT 2001

Jim Rible wrote:

> Your page looks fine, but I encourage you to take it a step
> further. We use Flash on our home page as the main interface.

For what it's worth, here's an opposite piece of advice:  Stick
with standards-conformant, vendor-independent technology - at
least where it is convenient and suits your overall goals.

I don't see what the image adds, really - and certainly would
not encourage taking it "a step further" in the sense indicated
by Jim Rible (see the quote above).

Keep things clean, readable, and portable.

You'll find sites so desiged to be easier to maintain and up-
grade over the long haul, and you'll also find that the search
engines and non-mainstream browsers have an easier time with
them.  They also are much easier to make ADA compliant, and
they allow for easier browser-based customization by users
(who may, e.g., be color impaired).

You can, of course, tailor your presentation to each browser
(and to the available plug-ins), but again that can lead to a
maintenance nightmare.

--

Richard Goerwitz                               richard at Goerwitz.COM
tel: 401 438 8978