Missing registry key for NoBrowserOptions

Julia Schult jschult at elmira.edu
Mon Jun 18 12:22:28 EDT 2001

I'm trying (without any luck) to implement a solution that has been
discussed on this list before, and is given on one of the pages referred to
in the Reference Center for Web4Lib.  It's on several web pages, notably
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBC/tip1100/rh1147.htm

I'm trying to turn off the Internet Options in Internet Explorer (5.5) on a
Windows 2000 Pro computer running on an NT network.  The registry hack is to
set a DWORD entry "NoBrowserOptions" to 1 in:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions

However, when I try to navigate there using either regedit or regedt32, that
folder doesn't exist!  I can get to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\
But the only thing under that is \SystemCertificates (with two subfolders,
\ca and \trust).
The same is true of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

Where can I find Internet Explorer\Restrictions in the registry?  Or where
else can I add NoBrowserOptions and NoFavorites?

Or any idea why that subkey isn't there?

---Julia E. Schult
Access/Electronic Services Librarian
Elmira College
Jschult at elmira.edu