Library Website/College Website Conflicting Design Standards

TSmith2 at lansing.cc.mi.us TSmith2 at lansing.cc.mi.us
Tue Jul 31 14:58:30 EDT 2001

Greetings Web4Libbers!

Calling all College & University Web Librarians!

Is anyone dealing with the challenge of creating or re-designing a library
website with user-centered design standards while simultaneously attempting
to deal with imposed-from-above college-wide design standards?  (Or have
you done so in the recent past?)

Do (or Did) the college-wide design standards/ or website philosphy differ
from the library design standards/ or website philosphy?

If so, how are you (or how did you) manage the quandry?

As LCC's new Web Libraian, I have suddenly found myself attempting to cope
with the above described challenge and am struggling to facilitate a tricky
political, philosophical & technical situation.
Any advice, experience, ideas are most welcomed!  And of course I will
collate the results and resubmit them to the list at a later date.

Here's hoping for some of your usual insight & experience,
Cheers - Trixi

PS: Since I am only on the digest Web4Lib list, please respond to:
tsmith2 at lansing.cc.mi.us
Trixi B Smith, Web Librarian
Room 201Q, LCC Library
Technology & Learning Center (TLC)