[WEB4LIB] Re: need technology news not business news

Tony Barry me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
Tue Jul 31 05:09:12 EDT 2001

At 5:15 AM -0700 30/7/01, Drew, Bill wrote:
>  Thank you to Rich for saying what I was trying to say.  Even magazines like
>PC World have less and less on new developments in IT and computers and more
>on what company is going to be the next dot com failure.  While knowing that
>type of thing is important for us systems librarians, it is screaming at us
>from everywhere.   I get the e-mail edition of the New York Times everyday.
>The technology section is dominated almost exclusively by business news.  I
>also get several of the "free" trade journals; Interactive Week and others.
>When they first started the majority of articles was on how busnesses and
>others were using the new technologies of the internet.  Now again they are
>dominated by what company is taking over what other company.
>
>Sorry about this whining.

The solution is in our own hands. We start a list (not this one as
it's for discussion). It's an announcement list and defaults to
digest mode.

Individuals put their hands up to watch a particular online
publication and post a summary or the lead in paragraph and the URL
of anything of interest to libraries.

Anybody else can post things of interest which go to the moderator.

The moderator approves postings and filters duplicates.

It has an archive at a web site which also lists who has volunteered
to watch what publication.

There is a search engine on top of the archive.

While this list is US-centric it does cover a large proportion of the
potential market of those interested in library technology. Who knows
if it was done sponsorship might be forthcoming to support it.

Tony

--
phone  +61 2 6241 7659
mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au