Blocking email, the complaint

Peter Murray PMurray at law.uconn.edu
Thu Jul 26 13:54:20 EDT 2001

Earlier this month, Dan Lester posted a series of messages about how he
was pursued by a Washington, MO, company for including the company's
web-based e-mail server in his list of chat, webemail, and game playing
sites.  We had a discussion about the implications of this on libraries.

Well, I was searching THOMAS for something else, and ran across the
"Who Is E-Mailing Our Kids Act", introduced to the U.S. House of
Representatives in May:

  <http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c107:H.R.1846.IH:>

It seems to propose that schools and libraries who receive universal
service assistance must create policies to block sending anonymous
e-mail and anonymous web access.  I am not a lawyer (I don't even play
one at work), but I wonder if one would consider web-based e-mail
systems (like Yahoo) to be "annonymous" since anyone can create a
pseudonym using these services.  In which case, a subset of Dan's list
covering web-based e-mail systems might be very important.

In any case, it has been referred to a subcommittee and there doesn't
look to be any action on it.  As with most legislation, it'll probably
never make it out of subcommittee.  But you never know...

Peter
--
Peter Murray, Computer Services Librarian              W: 860-570-5233
University of Connecticut Law School             Hartford, Connecticut