(Update Week 21) The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk

gprice gprice at gwu.edu
Thu Jul 26 12:26:09 EDT 2001

http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk Update Week 21
New and Useful Web Sites,
Industry News, Full-Text Docs of Interest to the Info Professional.

7/26/01
Hello from Washington D.C.

Another week, another update full of news and resources.

The Usual:
This email update is *ONLY A SAMPLE* of what you’ll find on the actual weblog
site.
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

The weblog is updated daily.
Also, note the links to the Archives on the left side of the page.
---------
If you have any questions or comments, just drop me a note.

Cheers,
gary
gprice at gwu.edu
----------------

p.s. Thanks for sharing the weblog url with others. I appreciate the help!

Weekly Highlights #21
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

Thursday, July 26, 2001
Web Archive Projects
OCLC Collaborates to Develop Digital Archive of Web Documents

Buildings--United States Government
New Database: U.S. Government Leased and Owned Buildings
>From the press release, "The GSA buildings and sites database allows the
visitor to view expiring lease/occupancy information from more than 7,000 GSA
leases and the locations of more than 1,900 GSA-owned buildings. Visitors to
the site can view the information by GSA region or by state from congressional
districts."

Full-Text Document Shelf
E-Government--Benchmark Study
Information Age Government - Benchmarking Electronic Service Delivery - 2001
Source: Office of the e-Envoy (United Kingdom)
>From the site, "International benchmarking studies have been carried out in
2000 and again this year to compare the Government’s progress against G7 and
other leading nations in the development of electronic government services."
The report is available in several formats. The year 2000 report is also
available at this url.
----

Wednesday, July 25, 2001
Web Search--Vivisimo
Meta-Search
Search More Material With Vivisimo

Public Libraries
IFLA/UNESCO Publish Guidelines for Public Library Development

Full-Text Document Shelf
Transportation--United Kingdom
National Travel Survey: 1998-2000 Update
Source: Department for Transport
40 pages .pdf

Education--United States--Statistics
Web Version of The Condition of Education Now Available

----
Tuesday, July 24, 2001
Demographic Data--American FactFinder (U.S. Census)
Invisible Web
Massive Amounts of New Content Added to American FactFinder Database
----

Monday, July 23, 2001
More on The Changes To AllTheWeb.Com That We Mentioned A Couple of Weeks Ago
This morning the Fast/AllTheWeb management released an official news
announcement with "official" word about many of the changes we higlighted a
couple of weeks ago.

Full-Text Document Shelf
Elections--United States
Source: Clerk of the U.S. House of Representatives
Statistics of the Presidential and Congressional Election of November 7, 2000.

Performing Arts--United States
Source: Pew Charitable Trusts/RAND
The Performing Arts in a New Era
>From the news release, "The report, The Performing Arts in a New Era, by Kevin
McCarthy, Arthur Brooks, Julia Lowell, and Laura Zakaras, is the first to
analyze the entire performing arts system--theater, opera, dance and music in
the commercial, professional nonprofit, and the community-oriented volunteer
sector--over the past 30 years. The major objective of the study was to
examine trends affecting audiences, artists, organizations and finances and to
identify the policy implications of those trends."

----

-----
Sunday, July 22, 2001
Web Directory--Corporate Archives
Directory of Corporate Archives in the United States and Canada
Published by the Society of American Archivists, Business Archives Section

----
Saturday, July 21, 2001
Energy--Petroleum--United States
Gasoline Prices
Source: EIA
New Resource: Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Update
Pricing and industry information, updated daily.

Elections--Canada
Source: Elections Canada
Now in HTML: "Canada's Electoral System"
Also Available as a .pdf file.

----
Friday, July 20, 2001
World Bank--Contracts--Database
Invisible Web
Contracts/Contractor Search
>From the database home page, "Procurement under World Bank-financed projects
results in the award of approximately 20-30,000 contracts (total value of
about $20 billion); about 10,000 are subject to prior review (total value of
about $10 billion). The search function below allows you to search major
contracts that were reviewed and agreed to by Bank staff before they were
awarded; i.e., "prior reviewed" contracts."

Archives--Russia
Digitization Projects
"UNESCO Sponsors Russian Archives Online Project"
>From the article, "UNESCO, the Federal Archival Service of Russia (Rosarhiv)
and Abamedia, a USA based media development and production company, recently
signed an agreement to co-operate in the Russian Archives Online (RAO) project
which has for objective to provide an Internet-based medium for the viewing,
searching and licensing of audiovisual materials held by State and other
archives and museums in Russia."

----
Thursday, July 19, 2001
Full-Text Document Shelf
Children--United States--Statistics
Source: Federal Interagency Forum on Child and Family Statistics
America's Children 2001
Highlights ||| Full-Text and Additional Material ||| News Story

News--Legal Documents
A New Alert Tool from FindLaw.Com: Breaking News
>From the announcement, "E-mailed to subscribers the day news of major civil
and criminal cases breaks, the Breaking Documents newsletter delivers motions,
complaints, judicial opinions and more. Weekly Documents, which is e-mailed
each Wednesday, summarizes the week's significant legal documents."
Subscribe (free) to the Breaking News Alert

Weekly Highlights #21
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Information Consultant, George Washington University
gprice at gwu.edu